My personal growth experiences at Rubicon Red have motivated me to share my story to inspire others, to make the most of their opportunities for growth and development.
A Win-Win Journey
Six years ago, I started at Rubicon Red in our India Development Centre as the Office Manager, and later, was promoted to Manager - Finance and Administration. Today, I am the Recruitment and Human Resource Manager, India Operations, responsible for our growing team of 50+ staff in India.
Over the last six years, I have progressed my career at Rubicon Red, constantly growing my knowledge and responsibilities, not because I have a specific degree or skill set, but because I have been given the opportunity to thrive and grow. Rubicon Red has provided me with this opportunity through unlimited boundaries, constant reminders of my potential and encouraging me to have a growth mindset.
Being part of Rubicon Red India from the outset, I have seen many employees, with different backgrounds and mindsets, coming and going, for a variety of reasons. Based on my observations and personal experiences I would like to share my “Zen Story”, to inspire others to make the most of their opportunities for personal growth and development.
A Zen Story
An entrepreneur who was successful but unhappy took a break from his work and travelled to the Northern plateau in search of an answer. Deep in the forest, he met a Zen Master, who was meditating.
The entrepreneur bowed and the master signalled him to sit. The Master asked him the reason for his unhappiness and the astonished entrepreneur said "I am providing adequate facilities and creating learning opportunities for my employees but still, they are unhappy. How can I make them happy?"
The Master summoned his disciples to bring a glass jar with 2 tiny fish. The Master gave the jar to the entrepreneur and said, "Take care of this, and come back and meet me in 3 months".
After three months, the Entrepreneur visited the Master again. The Master noticed that the fish have grown in size and were in a larger jar.
The Master asked him why he increased the size of the jar and he replied, “I fed the fish well and they grew in size, so I thought they would be more comfortable in a larger jar."
The Master spoke to the fish in their language and asked if they were happy. One of the fish replied blissfully, “He fed me well and I owe him for my growth". The other fish replied disappointedly, “It was his duty to feed me, so it’s not a big deal, but he has put me in a confined space and this has stunted my growth.”
The Master conveyed these words to the Entrepreneur, who was shocked and replied, “I provided facilities so it could grow, and now it's accusing me of hampering it's growth? That's not fair … "
The Master smiled and said, “You can't satisfy everyone. There are some people who find growth in their space while others think they can only find growth in a bigger, better space. Worthy employees will always find ways to grow within their boundaries and as an entrepreneur, it is your duty to expand these boundaries for them to grow further, and then it becomes a win-win journey.”
Rubicon Red is an organisation that continually extends boundaries for its employees and encourages them to grow, by relentlessly pursuing a set of powerful values to achieve success, together.
- Act with Integrity
- Partner for Customer Success
- Deliver, Learn, Improve
- Achieve as a Team
- Be very Curious
Act with Integrity
- Be open, accountable honest and transparent
- Don't compromise on quality, standards or values
- Communicate with respect and communicate concerns early
- Understand our goals, the Journey and our capabilities
- Don't over promise and under deliver
“To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity” Donald A. Adams
Partner for Customer Success
- The customer is part of the team, we succeed or fail together
- Strive for excellence and a win-win relationship with the customer
- Be close to the customer and seek to understand their business goals
- Look to solve the customer’s problem, not just the technical problem (design thinking)
- Ask how do we make it easy for the customer, without adding complexity?
"Cooperation is the thorough conviction that nobody can get there unless everybody gets there." – Virginia Burden
Deliver, Learn, Improve
- Focus on lean delivery - ask which of our efforts are value-creating and which are wasteful?
- Avoid analysis paralysis, be willing to continuously experiment, measure the results, learn and improve
- Make complex things simple
- Don't reinvent the wheel - improve operational efficiency via standardization, consistency and automation
- Use our expertise to lead innovation and continuous improvement for the customer
"Action comes about if and only if we find a discrepancy between what we are experiencing and what we want to experience." - Philip J. Runkel
Achieve as a Team
- Collaborate on ideas and issues
- Share our knowledge, experience and learning with each other
- Work together to leverage each other's strengths, experience and expertise
- Avoid silos and share in each other's challenges, lighten the load
- Celebrate success together
"Great things in business are never done by one person; they're done by a team of people." – Steve Jobs
- Have a curious mind to face challenges and deliver desired outcomes in a novel way
- Use our knowledge and confidence to reframe the questions we ask and be open to applying ideas in different ways to innovate and improve
- Seek to understand and have the confidence to question why?
- Have a growth mindset to embrace learning and be open and flexible to change
- Understand what the customer is trying to achieve, empathise with the customer
“I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious.” - Albert Einstein
Rubicon Red is actively looking for new employee’s to join our growing team. If you are a passionate technologist, focused on customer success, love working in an agile team environment, continually learning and sharing your knowledge, we would love to hear from you. Check out our open positions on our Careers page.